A temporary crown is only meant to serve your needs while a Porcelain, Gold or Base Metal crown is being made for you.
Color: The color of the plastic or aluminum temporary does not resemble the final crown in any way.
Shape and Size: Temporary crowns are custom-made for each patient, but they will not in any way resemble the final crown, which is being made especially for you from a custom cast of your teeth.
Tooth Sensitivity: Your temporary crown will help protect from sensitivity and structure of the prepared tooth. However, it does not fit your mouth like the final crown will, so you may notice some sensitivity to heat, cold, or sweets that you wont feel when your final crown is in place.
Here are some other things you need to know about your temporary crown:
- The temporary cement requires about 30 min to set. Please do not chew during that period of time.
- Certain foods will stick to the temporary crown. So please refrain from chewing gum or other candies or food that might stick to the crown– or even pull it out.
- Temporary crowns are not strong. They may occasionally break or come off. If this should happen to you, please contact our office immediately, bring your crown with you and we will replace it. Should you be unable to contact us, simply go to a pharmacy and get some Fixodent or another gel-type denture adhesive. replace the temporary crown on your tooth using the Fixodent to hold it in place until you can contact us.
- Please do not leave the temporary crown off your prepared tooth. Without the temporary crown, your teeth may move and then the permanent crown may not fit!
- Please remember that it is still important to keep this area clean. However, brushing and flossing too vigorously around your temporary crown can cause it to come off, so please use caution.