Do You Know the 3 Types of Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a pervasive disorder robbing millions of people from rest.
Worse, sleep apnea puts people’s lives are risk.
The good news is that simple solutions are available!
First, ask Lighthouse Dental to help you determine which type of sleep apnea you might have.
– Obstructive Sleep Apnea occurs when airflow through the nose and mouth stops despite persistent efforts to breathe. Your body wants to breathe, but it can’t.
– Central Sleep Apnea occurs when there is no effort to breathe due to an interruption of the central nervous system. Your body “forgets” to breathe.
– Mixed Sleep Apnea is a combination of both Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea.
Sleep apnea can range from very mild cases to very severe.
The Apnea / Hypopnea Index (AHI) measures how many episodes a person has during their sleep.
– 5-15 episodes per sleep is considered mild
– 15-30 episodes per sleep is considered moderate
– 45 or more episodes per sleep is considered severe
Even if your number of sleep apnea episodes is mild, you should take action. Your sleep apnea could be more severe than you think due to oxygen deprivation, heart arrhythmia and high blood pressure.
Don’t wait any longer. Start getting a better night’s rest.
Lighthouse Dental can help!
Ask us about Oral Appliance Therapy
– a remarkable and much-less obtrusive alternative to CPAP treatment for sleep apnea. The oral appliance is a small, custom-fit device, much like a retainer, that gently shifts the lower jaw forward slightly to open up your airway. It’s such a simple solution to help you sleep better and enjoy life again.